Friday, April 22, 2011

Go, Hawk, Go


I had a brief moment of distraction yesterday, besides having to pay for my truck wiring to be redone because (apparently) there's a leak where water is fusing out the wires to my electric doors. That's a financial stress.

This was a natural stress that involved me, but didn't affect me.

Outside my house there's a dead tree where a Northern Flicker made a whole a few years back. Inside the hole, starlings like to build their nest. While I was writing, I looked out my window and saw what I thought was a raccoon trying to get its head into one of the holes. But then it spread its wings and I realized it was a hawk going after the rat-birds. Its head was bobbing in and out of the hole while it tried to keep its balance. I looked for my camera and by the time I got it, he was atop the dead tree cocking its head wondering why its big noggin couldn't get at the starlings in the hole. When it saw me, it flew off.

I thought it was cool. I wish he was more successful. The starlings often poop on my truck. Oh well, it can join the leak that is shorting out wires.

No comments:

Post a Comment