Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What does it mean?


There's no sound to this. It is an artist's video posted on YouTube. I saw her work in Denmark and, admittedly, laughed. I showed this clip to my students yesterday to get them to think outside of the box. "What is this artist trying to convey to others?" Is she tempting my mother to do a similar act with her blue eye shadow? Is she portraying my little sister and how she wore her makeup in high school? Is it an impersonation of Jack Nicholson as the Joker? I don't know.

I imagine her nose cartilage is sore, though, from her performance on a piece of glass. And I should note that this is a famous artist, Pipliotti Rist, who makes much more money on her films than I do as a teacher. Some may say I've chosen the wrong career.

No comments:

Post a Comment