Saturday, October 1, 2011

Affrilachian Poets


Many moons ago, Affilachian poet, Frank X. Walker came to my classroom to do a poetry workshop with my students. Since then, he's written several collections, including Affrilachia, which was staged at the Kentucky Center of the Arts. I ordered another of his collection, America, What's My My Name; The Other Poets Unfurl the Flag, to possibly provide counter readings in a course I'm teaching next semester on literary theory and reading literature.

His work, along with the powerful language of his fellow Affrilachian poets, may offer an alternative to prose my students have had little exposure with. Hearing him read makes me miss the bluegrass and the friends I made there. It also makes me proud that my students - way back when - had him to influence their writing worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment