Saturday, October 22, 2011

Thinking of Emelia


In 2001 (two g's and a dollar), a young woman introduced me to this song by Joni Mitchell. With her warmth and energy for the world, she sang this at graduation and dedicated it to me. The song has always had a place in my heart and, last night, when I went for a run, the song kicked on my iPod and and I had a reflective spirit, thinking about the youth I had at the Brown School, the diversity of their personalities, and the irreplaceable magic they held to my heart.

These kids, the class of 2001, are now adults - older than I was when I taught them - and I think about the perspectives they offered my world. It was karma and an irreplaceable experience to have the same crew of kids during their freshmen, sophomore, junior, and then senior year. We were a case of each other.

And for this song, whenever I hear it I dedicate it back to the rainbow fish who first introduced it to my world. The song represents the freedom of American history and a period of time when music connected people and was less commercial. It was more folk and the lyrics had meaning beyond the dollar sign.

A taste of the lyrics:

Oh I am a lonely painter
I live in a box of paints
I'm frightened by the devil
And I'm drawn to those ones that ain't afraid

I remember that time you told me you said
"Love is touching souls"
Surely you touched mine
'Cause part of you pours out of me
In these lines from time to time
Oh, you're in my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter and so sweet

Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
I would still be on my feet

And I am still on my feet thinking of the joy I had with the youth who changed my life forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment