Saturday, January 22, 2011

I'm posting this because I am


Exit off of the ad so you can read the script.

When I went to Tokyo, I often experienced days and days of not having a clue what was being said. Even so, I totally immersed in the joy of living in another culture and trying to figure out how another society worked. At night, I often watched television and didn't understand a word I was hearing, but I tried guessing the story line by the gestures of the actors on screen.

The commercials were equally mind boggling, as were the game shows.

I set out to find a wintry mix of noises to celebrate the arctic winds, and somehow I ended up on this commercial. It reminded me of a time when listening was a different art and when watching helped me to make sense of the sounds. Of course, this ad for a sports arena and the man's confusion over depth of voice can be problematic on many levels. That is not why I post it. Instead, I put it on screen for the ways it speaks in Japanese.

It is not the winds I intended to post, but c'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment