Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I love to believe in hope


Sandra Athans, a phenomenal educator in Chittenango, New York, returned from the International Reading Association conference in Florida and presented me with a signed copy of Linda Sue Park's A Long Walk to Water that tells the story of Salva Dut.

I stopped everything yesterday so I cold read the book and am very grateful to Sandra for thinking of me and sharing this story - it is an excellent text to teach to middle school youth and to show them the possibilities of the world. In addition, it is a story that might help them, like American adults, to see that our life is not the life others on this globe.

"Do you see that group of bushes," Salva's uncle advised him. "You need only to work as far as those bushes."

It was this advice that kept Salva Dut alive so he would one day make it to the United States and begin his project to heal Sudan. I am a stronger man for having the opportunity to read his journey and I am truly appreciative.

Thanks, Sandra.

No comments:

Post a Comment