Thursday, May 5, 2011

thinking about the globe as i write


I am editing the chapter of my participants' histories and, as a result, I am thinking about my reality of posting online every night, checking my cellphone, avoiding my television, thinking about the 1100 research articles I've read to write about the experiences of youth, reflecting on the countless experiences I've had when traveling overseas, and I'm amazed by how much I don't know. Moreso, I'm feeling fortunate to have had the life I've had, especially in regard to the rest of the world.

I can't seem to get my head around the fact that we live as we do, but the way we live is highly abnormal around the world. It is the exception to the rule and if we were to take a vote, Americans of the United States would be the oddballs. We're the most alien to what global cultures know as truth, yet we control almost all the truth that gets told.

I'm sort of happy that Obama has chosen not to show the photographs of bin Laden's death. I think that shows integrity and prefer being part of a nation that has some pride and dignity with handing its leadership. I think his choice is smart.

In the meantime, I want to find a way to make the world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment