Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Grammar Nazis


We've been debating about the best way to teach grammar in English for as long as I've been an English teacher. I am on the cusp of grammar books, having only one or two teachers who emphasized these lessons in my personal experiences. As a result, teaching grammar has always been important to me, but I've always worked lessons into context (always questioning the rules I'm emphasizing as important to my students).

Bring on a Nazi Grammar video. In this, a Nazi soldier attacks a man who is using incorrect English to the point that someone ends up dead). Many have posted their own grammar nazi pet peeves as a result of this which has cranked out somewhat funny, and teachable mini-lessons on grammar that we might use in our classrooms.

My goal has always been to promote voice and perspective and not stifle it. The language wars, however, have brought forth righteous behavior from some who scowl about improper language use. This, in return, silences those who don't speak Queen's English (if even that exists). Who controls the right and wrong? Should the debate matter? Well...that is the crux.

So, what do we do with this debate? We post such noise on a Tuesday morning. And then we'll see what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment