Sunday, August 28, 2011

Well, I valued electricity more


I fled. I got in my truck with my dissertation documents and returned to Syracuse. I've been working at the University all day in a quiet office with much juice. I couldn't predict whether or not Irene would trigger the hype they were predicting and I didn't want to take a chance. So, I drove the four hours to see my family and to have multiple outlets to use.

Depending on the reality, I may stay in Syracuse for a while writing or, if the predictions falter, I will return to work there early in the week. This is the life of a gambler, I guess. 24 hours from now I might be saying, "Silly goose. You shouldn't have listened" or I can be saying, "Nice job, buddy. You just earned yourself the fortune of three days of productivity that you wouldn't have had if you stayed."

Oh, the noise above? It's my temporary distraction from working at Syracuse University. Soon, this place too will be an alma mater.
(That is, if Irene doesn't jolt west and flatten the salt city.

No comments:

Post a Comment